3/6/12

Faces of Shanghai


Arriving in the bustle of Shanghai I had the itch for a new lens. Such cravings are nothing new, and I generally ignore them, but I was in China to photograph people, and the part of me that likes toys was especially vocal about the fact that I did not have that perfect lens. I needed something fast, which is slang for a lens that allows in a lot of light (the f/ stop), in order to get that appealing look of only a little bit of the image being in focus (the eyes), and the rest turning into a creamy blur. After three hours of haggling, bluffing, and arguing in Chinese (thanks to Ian) in the largest camera store I’ve ever seen, I walked away with lens I wanted. It is a Sigma 30 mm f/ 1.4 and I’ve loved it since that day, using it far more than the rest of my (more expensive) lenses.  

Upon getting the lens, I went on a two-day binge of portraits throughout the huge city. No one interesting looking escaped my request for a photo (though many refused) and I got some cool shots from my boldness. This blog is a compilation of my favorite images from those first couple days in Shanghai.

Ian and I are temporarily stuck on a tropical island in the south of Thailand, reading feverishly and awaiting news about our futures. A “normal” blog is sure to follow, once we get back to civilization and real computers.

Tryg




2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of having my Mom send me my baby prime lens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection with such variety! I love the old man with the grey beanie and how his ears stick out, it's a well-composed face.

    ReplyDelete